Questions, answers and advice about Safe T Sleep baby safety products
As you can imagine, the Safe T Sleep team gets lots of questions from parents and caregivers about the baby safety products and safe sleeping for babies. We’ll do our best to answer them all, so feel free to contact us if you can’t find the answer you are looking for in the FAQs below.
First, the Key Benefits of the Original Safe T Sleep® Sleepwrap® baby wrap! There are many benefits to using the Safe T Sleep Sleepwrap for your baby. The main ones are:
- Allows a cosy, ‘independent sleeping space’ for babies
- Together with loving, trust-building parenting encourages positive, familiar sleep patterns and associations
Helps keep baby’s face and head clear, helping to prevent suffocation accidents
- Helps prevent known cot/crib discomfort, injuries and fatalities from jamming climbing and falling
- Importantly flat and soft underneath baby’s back for cosy comfort
- Allows all natural, comfortable movement at each stage of development.
- Free body, limb and hip movement. Older babies may turn freely within the Sleepwrap
- Practical and comforting for reflux, colic, ‘head bangers’, extra restless sleepers and creepers
- Safer, more familiar transitions to bigger and different beds for home and away. Ideal for twins and multiples
- The best, most convenient, compact and lightweight for visiting, traveling, camping, caravanning, boating and small spaces. Ideal and practical at grandparents and day-care
- Washable, hygienic, warm in winter and cool in summer.
Easy to use: the Safe T Sleep baby Sleepwrap simply goes over any type of swaddling, sleeping bag or sleepwear for safe, snug and more restful sleep
- Helps keep swaddling wraps in place to prevent entanglement and suffocation
- Peace of mind and a good night sleep for baby’s parents, grandparents and caregivers
Questions & answers
1. Is my sleeping baby comfortable? What natural movement does my baby have and do babies seem to like being wrapped in the Safe T Sleep Sleepwrap baby wrap?
2. Has the Safe T Sleep Sleepwrap had any professional testing or trialling?
3. How important is it to read and follow instructions for the Safe T Sleep Sleepwrap?
4. What are the dangers of using a second-hand or homemade/copycat Safe T Sleep Sleepwrap?
5. What do I do if my baby doesn’t seem to like the Safe T Sleep Sleepwrap baby wrap?
6a. My baby is rolling/turning and/or creeping around in the Sleepwrap – what can I do?
6b. Baby sleeping on side, what can I do?
7. When and how is my older baby able to be taught to turn within the Safe T Sleep Sleepwrap?
8. How may the Safe T Sleep Sleepwrap baby wrap assist with better baby sleep?
9. Can you sleep a baby on their tummy in the Safe T Sleep Sleepwrap?
10. Is my back or side sleeping baby safer in a Safe T Sleep Sleepwrap?
11. At what age should I transition my baby out of the Safe T Sleep Sleepwrap baby wrap?
12. Can I co-sleep with my baby? Or is a bedside co-sleeper bassinet the safest baby bed?
13. Why use the Safe T Sleep Sleepwrap with baby’s 9-months or older if some babies can undo the fastening strips?
14. Is it possible to introduce the Safe T Sleep Sleepwrap to an older baby over 12 – 18 months?
15. If I place my baby at the foot of the cot/crib without a Safe T Sleep Sleepwrap is my baby sleeping safely?
16. Could the Sleepwrap pose any danger to my baby?
17. Can a baby overheat with a Safe T Sleep Sleepwrap baby wrap?
18. Can the Safe T Sleep Sleepwrap help prevent my baby from getting cold – kicking all the blankets off?
19. What safe baby sleep options do I have for a premature, newborn and/or very wriggly, Olympic/Houdini older baby?
20. Can I use the Safe T Sleep Sleepwrap in conjunction with a baby sleeping bag product? If used together, will my baby be too hot?
21. What is the best way to swaddle/wrap my newborn-6months old baby when I also want to use the Safe T Sleep Sleepwrap?
22. Why and how should I use the little Safe T Sleep HEADwedge to prevent Flat Head/Positional Plagiocephaly/PWS?
23. How can the Safe T Sleep Sleepwrap and HEADwedge help prevent and correct Flat Head/Positional Plagiocephaly/PWS?
24. Why do I need to use a Safe T Sleep Sleepwrap and HEADwedge to correct a flat head when Doctors and Surgeons suggest a ‘helmet’?
25. How long will it take to correct my baby’s Flat Head? Is my child too old for the Safe T Sleep Sleepwrap and/or HEADwedge product to work on his flat head?
26. What is the best baby bed for a newborn – 2years old? Can I put my baby straight into a cot/crib (rather than bassinet first)?
27. The Sleepwrap baby wrap fastening strips seem very noisy, what can I do?
28. Can I use the Safe T Sleep Sleepwrap and a baby Monitor together?
29. Is it safe to use a 'second hand' Safe T Sleep Sleepwrap baby wrap?
30. How and why should I introduce the Safe T Sleep Sleepwrap to an older baby?
31. How do I decide which size Safe T Sleep Sleepwrap to buy?
32. In New Zealand will WINZ assist with the purchase of a Safe T Sleep Sleepwrap baby wrap?
33. Could the Safe T Sleep Sleepwrap be mistaken as a sleep positioner?
The Safe T Sleep Sleepwrap is a practical easy to use baby wrap to compliment nurturing, positive parenting skills. It helps to prevent injuries and fatalities without restricting breathing or natural movements.
The Ministry of Health recommends all babies are put to sleep in their own sleep space, on their backs and with no loose objects like toys or bumper pads in the bed. Babies are best protected by being a smoke-free environment and being breast fed.